Wednesday, March 26, 2014

The bunny cake has been in my family for who knows how long.  My grandma Joan made it a lot and the bunny cake was my very first birthday cake.  My grandma past away before I got into cooking and so I never really got a chance to ask how it was figured out.  My mom was taught how to do a bunny cake and about 6 years ago she taught me how to make it.  Making the bunny cake was pretty easy because you pretty much bake it, shape it and then decorate it however you want.  I always loved this cake because it has such a variety in what you can do with it.  I like that you can decide how to design it and every one of them is different in their own way because it's personalized.  When I make the cake I come out and say alright what shall our bunny be this year?  Usually everyone always says something different and there can be as many colors as you like.  This past weekend for instance I asked and my sister said she wanted purple and my mom said blue.  I decided to do a purple bunny with a blue bow-tie and green in the middle of his ears.  I also like that you can use as many different types of candy.  I actually did something new with the left-over frosting rather than just letting it go to waste I put mnm's inside of it and coated them with frosting and it was like sugar rush from heck but it was delicious and the majority of the frosting was ate.We usually do box cake mixes because it takes a lot less time to make and it's a lot cheaper than going out and buying flour, sugar, salt, vanilla, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and all of those ingredients.  I mean the box cake mixes are like a dollar whereas just for the flour it's like three dollars for a small bag of it.  When making the cake of course you preheat your oven to 350, that's what the majority of cakes call for.  While your two circle cakes are baking you can be making your icing, ours is kind of like a marshmellow texture and it's super creamy.  We just do a vanilla icing stick it in a bowl and then start separating the amount of icing needed in each bowl, for the head and ears is where you need the most frosting at so of course the majority of it stays there and gets colored whatever color you choose, you only need a tiny bit for the inside of it's ears and you double the amount you used for the inside of it's ears for the bow-tie.  After you frost your bunny you take whatever candies you want on it and start decorating the bunny.  This is where your creativity comes in, we usually use mnm's and twizzlers for our bunnies but it could be whatever you prefer.  Not every bunny will  be exactly the same I mean we have had bunnies who just have a split head and it's really funny because we make jokes about how we are fixing the bunnies brain.  When your cutting the bunny it sounds terrible because you ask what part they'd like and they respond back with can I have a piece of his ear?  To me I just find it hysterical because it sounds like we are eating a human or something but that's just me.

No comments:

Post a Comment